Oklahoma Baptist Homes for Children


Admission and Placement

Frequently Asked Questions

Q & A
  • How can I get an application?

    You may call any of our individual campuses for an application for placement into one of our programs. The different locations have tools to help you properly assess your child’s situation, and help determine the best possible program for your child. This can save you from having to fill out applications for programs that aren’t equipped to handle your child’s issues. Many of the calls we receive for help are directed to other types of programs that offer a higher level of care than OBHC offers. We want to help you find the best possible program to help your child.

    If you would like to apply for any one of our programs, please visit our Applications page.

  • How long does it take to get a child admitted?

    The admission process typically takes at least three weeks from the time your application is received at the campus.

  • Is there anything I can do to help speed up the application process?

    The process can often be expedited by acquiring the necessary paperwork before the interview, such as a copy of the child's birth certificate, legal and medical records, insurance information, school records, and counseling records. Read more about the application process.

  • Do you offer emergency placement?

    Not at this time. If you need immediate placement, we recommend that you call your local youth shelter. If you feel that your child or any other individual may be in danger, please call your local emergency number (911).

  • How can I know which campus is right for my child?

    A brief summary of our residential care programs may help:

        Baptist Children’s Home, Oklahoma City
        Girls ages 6-17 / Boys ages 6-9 (exceptions for sibling groups)
         Children's Hope program for single moms

    A coed “neighborhood type” environment with a gymnasium and swimming pool.

         Boys Ranch Town – Edmond 
         Boys ages 7-15 at admission

    A rural setting for boys only that includes animal care and programs, equine therapy, petting zoo, rodeo, gymnasium, swimming pool.

         Baptist Children’s Home, Owasso
         Boys and girls ages 5-17
         Teenage girls who are pregnant and/or parenting
         Children's Hope program for single moms

    A coed “suburb type” environment with a gymnasium, swimming pool and fishing pond.

         Baptist Home for Girls – Madill
         Girls ages 5-17

    A rural setting for girls only that includes animal care and programs, gymnasium, swimming pool, and programs designed to help girls as they transition into godly women. Many girls become involved in 4-H or FFA. Small town school.

  • How much does it cost to place a child at OBHC?

    OBHC provides services at no cost to families. No child is ever denied service for financial reasons. The family is responsible for continuing medical insurance coverage for their child and/or for paying all medical bills incurred while the child is in placement.

  • Do you offer short-term residential placement, like for the summer?

    We ask for a commitment of at least one school term or about 9 months for our basic care residents. Each family's situation is unique and the expected length of placement will be discussed during the interview process.

  • How long do children usually stay in your program(s)?

    The average stay for basic care residents is about 3 to 4 years. Our maternity residents usually stay 6 to 12 months. Residents may stay until they:
    1. Complete their Plan of Care and can return to their home, or
    2. Reach the age of 18, or
    3. Graduate from high school.

    In addition, our campuses offer after care and transitional living apartments for residents who:
    1. Have completed the program, (see above) and
    2. Choose to remain on campus, and
    3. Obey the rules, and
    4. Are attending college or vocational school, and/or
    5. Are gainfully employed.

  • What happens if my child refuses to come?

    A child’s own willingness to accept placement and to make an honest effort to rectify his or her problems is a great determining factor for anticipated success. All of OBHC's campuses are described as open settings, and we do not provide a 24-hour watch staff.

  • What if my child is not appropriate for your programs?

    We can help you with referrals for other agencies/facilities which may be able to offer you their services.

  • Do you provide any counseling?

    We offer limited individual and family counseling for residents in our care.

  • Will I be able to find out how well my child is progressing?

    The "PLAN OF CARE" is an important document that specifies the needs to be met and services to be provided. It describes the responsibilities of the child, family, and OBHC, who must all work together to carry out and fulfill this Plan of Care. For each child there will be an individualized Plan of Care. This plan will be drawn up at the time of admission through joint discussion between the child, family, and OBHC. This is signed by each to indicate agreement with these goals. The family receives a copy of the Plan of Care.

    The Plan of Care will also include any limitations, expectations, or exceptions to visitation or other policies. The plan will also include an initial estimation of the length of placement necessary to meet the needs covered by the plan. At family conferences, the child, family, and staff will evaluate the progress towards meeting the Plan of Care and make any adjustment or additions.

  • What is the living environment like on your campuses?

    In each cottage, there is an adult couple serving as “house parents." They have the primary responsibility for the day-to-day care and supervision of the child while in our care. They try to establish a meaningful relationship with each child, to be sensitive, and to teach them appropriate behavior. The parent or guardian has opportunities to get to know the child's houseparents during their visits to the campus and through family conferences, although most contact and correspondence is through the child's assigned caseworker.

    The atmosphere is that of a caring family, with eight residents per cottage. Residents participate with the house parents in making the home a safe, comfortable place to live. Household responsibilities, life skills education and recreational activities are organized to help them learn responsibility in a structured-living situation.

    Same as basic care (above) with the exception that the cottage residents may consist of all girls, or a combination of pregnant girls and new moms with babies. Focus is on prenatal health, parenting and independent living skills.

    Please see our Children's Hope page for more details.

  • What does OBHC offer that I cannot provide for my child?

    Unlike most households where at least one parent works outside of the home, we offer stability through full-time, two-parent family models. Our staff are equipped through ongoing training in the most up-to-date curriculum and receive support through a network of child-care providers. The campus staff have regular meetings to discuss children’s needs, pray for any needs that may arise, and keep each other apprised of any particular situation.

  • What method do you use for behavior modification?

    Discipline contributes to the development of a capacity within each child for self-control and self-direction. The objective of discipline and behavior management is to provide a positive learning experience for the child in order for him or her to grow and develop and to learn acceptable standards of social behavior. Our methods of discipline are logical, appropriate, fair and consistent with the mental/physical abilities of the child.

  • How often will I get to see my children if they are accepted?

    Visitation usually occurs twice a month.

    Visitation is important for maintaining the relationship between parents and children and occurs twice a month on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.  Exceptions or limitations are included in the Plan of Care.

    Requests for other visiting times must be made in advance with the social service staff to avoid schedule conflicts. Usually the children will be allowed to leave campus for visits. However, under special circumstances, visits may be limited to on-campus.

    Questions or requests about visits are made to the social service staff. Families should not make any plans or promises about visits to their child until arrangements have been made. They should not promise to visit or take the child for vacation and then fail to do so. In case of last minute changes in visitation plans, parents are to notify the campus as soon as possible.

    When visiting, the parents are requested not to stay in their car but go into the cottage and see the houseparents. The child should be accompanied to the cottage when returning from visits. Parents are encouraged not to linger beyond visiting times. Parents who have been drinking or whose behavior may be upsetting to the child will be asked to leave. If parents wish to bring a guest with them on their visits, they must clear this in advance because children sometimes resent sharing their visits with others.

  • Are residents allowed to have family contact through mail and phone calls?

    Mail and Addresses
    The children may send and receive mail at any time, unless limited by the Plan of Care. Parents are encouraged to write regularly. The children worry and get upset when long periods of time go by and they have not heard from their parents. It is important that we are able to contact parents at all times in case of emergency. It is imperative that they notify us of any change of address, phone, marital status, or employment as soon as possible. The children need to know what is happening to their family and have the assurance they can get in touch with them at all times.

    Telephone Calls
    Because each child's background and experience differ, we ask that parents follow the guidelines discussed with them by the social service staff, houseparent, or designated person in regard to telephone contacts with their child. The child's access to the phone is determined by their Plan of Care and the Level System.

  • Are parents required to sign over their parental rights?

    No. Parents who place a child at OBHC are not required to give up their parental rights. We offer a placement agreement between the custodial parent or family member and the children's home.

  • Do you have to live in Oklahoma to place a child at OBHC?

    We are now able to accept children from families who reside outside of Oklahoma.

  • Do you take special needs children in your programs?

    Oklahoma Baptist Homes for Children are not equipped to accept children who are severely mentally or physically disabled, violent or destructive towards themselves or others, physically or sexually aggressive, or substance abusers. Other children OBHC typically does not accept are children who are emotionally or behaviorally disturbed to the point of requiring in-patient psychiatric treatment or extensive therapy, or in need of special education programs other than tutoring or LD (Learning Disabled) classes, such as ED, SED, MR or EMH.

  • Does OBHC provide college scholarships?

    Because of the generous support of caring people, we are able to provide scholarships to residents who have completed the program and remain in good standing with OBHC.

  • My son has been suspended three times this year. Can he go to your school?

    We are actually a residential child care facility; not a school. Because our campuses do not offer on-site education, residents must be able to function in a public school setting. Children who are unwilling to attend school or who have had a history of school suspensions, expulsions, or truancy are usually not appropriate for placement at OBHC, and are generally referred to facilities that offer on-campus education. However, tutors are provided and often this helps residents who have simply fallen behind or who are in need of a little extra ‘one-on-one.’

  • My teenage daughter is pregnant and needs a place to live. Can you help?

    We offer a maternity home for adolescent girls, and an adolescent mother and child program if she chooses to parent the baby and wishes to remain on campus after the birth. Find out more about our Residential Maternity Services.

  • Do you accept children from families who aren’t Baptists?

    OBHC’s Christian-based program encourages each child to develop a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Each cottage attends a local Southern Baptist church. The children are not required to join a church, become a Baptist, or make any religious decision or commitment. Each resident is encouraged to participate in church activities and programs. House parents conduct daily devotions in the cottages where they teach biblical principles, character development, life and communication skills.

  • Who would I contact to discuss my child’s progress?

    The social service staff is responsible for serving as the primary contact person between the family, the child, and OBHC. The social service staff counsels with children, coordinates any visits and vacations, and maintains the Plan of Care. The social service staff is the one with whom the parent or guardian should share personal or family problems and any information about the child. As the parent or guardian observes changes in the child while in our care, they are encouraged to share these with the staff. Any questions about the child's progress or concerns about the care their child is receiving should be directed to the child's social service staff.

  • Are parents required to attend any meetings or conferences?

    As often as necessary, but no less than twice a year, the parent or guardian will be asked to attend a family conference. At the family conference, they will be updated on the child's adjustment and growth, and will be asked to share their progress toward established goals. As the situation improves or if other problems arise and the parent or guardian wishes to discuss changing the original Plan of Care, OBHC will be glad to schedule a conference at their request.

    Before sharing future plans which affect the child, it is imperative that the parent or guardian discuss them with their social service staff. Under no circumstances should a promise be made to the child until plans are definite and have been agreed upon between a parent or guardian and the social service staff. A child loses faith in a parent and our organization when promises are made that cannot be kept. The family's social service staff can provide helpful counseling regarding the plans for the future and the child.

Go to top of page

Your gifts help provide hope to children and families.