Oklahoma Baptist Homes for Children

 

1983-1992

New Baptist Children’s Home

Baptist Children's Home, Oklahoma City - Established 1903

groundbreaking at the new campusProperty was sold and ground was broken in 1982 for a new Baptist Children’s Home in Oklahoma City. The property at NW 63rd and Pennsylvania Avenue, originally purchased for $2,000 in the early 1900s, was sold to make way for the Waterford complex.

The new campus, located at 16301 South Western, was designed with smaller cottages providing a family style environment and allowing more personal care for children.

The new campus of the Baptist Children's Home, Oklahoma City was completed in 1983.  Eleven buildings were constructed, including six cottages and staff housing. Other facilities included the administration, education-recreation, commissary, and maintenance buildings. The new campus featured the latest child care methods, with eight children in each housing unit.

New Baptist Children's Home OKC


Memorial Cottage was named in honor of some of the cottages that existed on the old campus and were not rebuilt on the new campus some of them were: Potter Cottage - 1953, Rinard Cottage - 1956, George Cottage - 1956, Scott Cottage - 1941, Anderson Cottage - 1968. Memorial Cottage at the new campus was dedicated in 1983.

Tubbs Cottage was named in honor of Mrs. Ida Mae Tubbs. The Oklahoma City Campus is on land she gave as part of her estate. Tubbs Cottage was dedicated in 1983.

Lucas Cottage was named in honor of Tom Lucas from near Port, Oklahoma. The first Lucas Cottage was dedicated in 1968.

Clawson Cottage was named in honor of Don and Ethel Clawson of Ada, Oklahoma. The first Clawson Cottage was dedicated in 1976.

Spooner Cottage was named in honor of Berta K. Spooner. The first Spooner Cottage was dedicated in 1941.

Kerr Cottage was named in honor of Senator Robert S. Kerr. The first Kerr Cottage was dedicated in 1953.

Browning Education/Recreation Building was named in honor of James V. Browning, superintendent of the children's home for over thirty years. The first Browning Education/Recreation Building was dedicated in 1976.



Go to top of page

Your gifts help provide hope and homes for children.

DONATE NOW