Oklahoma Baptist Homes for Children

 

1913 to 1922

"Adoption" Program

A new step was taken in Oklahoma Baptist Child Care Ministry in 1919. That year marked the beginning of the "adoption" policy of the churches over the state.

The program was actually an innovation of Woman's Missionary Union. Societies in the churches would "adopt" a boy or girl, which meant that Society twice yearly would supply the child with clothing, school supplies, and needs. The children were made genuinely happy when they learned of this new program, and beamed with delight and gratitude when their boxes began coming in from the societies.

In some form this plan has continued through the years, with considerable expansion. Brotherhoods; men's Bible classes; Church Training groups; individuals; and combinations of two or more individuals have made "adoptions" and found great joy in doing this special ministry for the children.


Girls from the home-1920
A WMU church society likely donated the white dresses seen in this 1920 junior high and senior high graduation photograph.

From "Child Care Ministry of Oklahoma Baptists" by J.M. Gaskin (1978)

Go to top of page

Your gifts help provide hope to children and families.

DONATE NOW